Our Basic Learn to Sail Course is perfect for anyone looking to get into the sport of sailing and continue it as a hobby. It is suitable for people of all ages, talent and physical ability. Anyone and everyone can enroll and there are a variety of aspects of sailing to interest everyone.
The course is designed to get you sail comfortably on your own, gain confidence and is the first step towards becoming a proficient sailor. No prior sailing experience is required to enroll, however if you want to simply try sailing before enrolling, you can take our 90 minutes Introduction to Sailing Course first.
Outline Of What You Will Learn
- You will learn the various types and classes of boats, the important parts of the boat and their uses and the basic sailing terminology
- How to rig / prepare the boat to sail.
- The basic sailing theory, determining the wind direction and understand how best the wind is utilized to move the boat.
- Understanding how to set the sails, steer and change course in different direction relative to the wind, slow down and stop the boat.
- Learn safety and emergency procedures, use of correct clothing and footwear and how to wear a buoyancy Aid properly.
- Basic Rules of the Road – right of way and how to avoid collisions and sail safely.
- Learn the basic knots
- Knowledge of the harbor and understanding tides and currents
Course duration: 10 sailing sessions of 90 minutes each, spread over a period of 2 months or less
Boat: Students will be trained on the Seabird class sailboat
Venue: Gateway of India, Colaba
No of students per session: Minimum 1 – Maximum 3
Class dates and timings: Classes are conducted on all days of the week. The wind conditions are favourable for sailing from 7:00 am till 10:00 am (morning session) and from 2:00 pm till 6:30 pm (afternoon / evening session). Students can schedule the date and timings for their classes accordingly.
(Please note that in the morning session, you cannot begin your class after 9:00 am; and in the afternoon / evening session, you cannot begin your class after 5:30 pm)
Fees: Rs. 20,000 per student (Rs. 17,000 if you have done the Introduction to Sailing Course from us)
Things To Know
- Only students of age 15 years and above are eligible to apply
- Knowing how to swim is NOT mandatory to take this course
- Buoyancy aid will be provided for safety
- Class date and timings must be booked atleast 2 days in advance